Charles Saatchi his divorcing Nigella Lawson for keeping silent after pictures showing him manhandling her were published by a newspaper. She refused to defend him, a situation that has hurt his reputation. Charles has been labeled “wife-beater” by the press.
In an exclusive interview with The Mail, Saatchi says that though he held her throat, he did not exert pressure. There was no intention of hurting the celebrity chef. It was just a ‘playful tiff’.
He argues that Nigella has held his throat in the past to attract his attention, and she understands that he never intended to cause harm.
The Mail reports that though pictures could be showing Nigella Lawson in a desperate situation getting manhandled, the couple were in fact not fighting. They were discussing about her eldest daughter, Cosima.
” The real reason the couple were arguing at Scott’s:
1. Nigella believes her daughter, Cosima, 19, should go to Oxford like her rather than take up a permanent role at The Economist. Saatchi disagreed.
2. How Nigella’s PR machine ordered Saatchi to confess publicly his ‘shame and humiliation’ at assaulting his wife – and Nigella agreed with this plan.
3. How the couple then had an explosive fight in which Saatchi told Nigella: ‘Pack your bags and go.’
4. How Saatchi believes that Nigella’s willingness to take her PR advisor’s advice over his own ultimately tore them apart.
5. How Saatchi feels he has no other option but to file for divorce because she refused to defend him in public and say he never hit her.
6. How the couple have not spoken a word to each other since Nigella left the family home after the pictures emerged on June 16, and she has refused to answer his ‘begging’ calls and text messages.”
– The Mail
Saatchi was disappointed that Nigella was defending her brand instead of giving an explanation on what transpired. He wanted Nigella to stop listening to her PR team but rather say the truth.
“I feel that I have clearly been a disappointment to Nigella during the last year or so, and I am disappointed that she was advised to make no public comment to explain that I abhor violence of any kind against women, and have never abused her physically in any way,” he stated.
By refusing to answer is calls and text messages and continued silence on what happened at the Scott’s, Nigella Lawson is responsible for the end of her marriage. “I am sorry to announce that Nigella and I are getting divorced… I am sorry that we had a row. I am sorry she was upset. I am even sorry that this is the end of our marriage,” Saatchi said.